Children as young as 6 months can learn to swim and enjoy it. Below are a few simple games you can play with your child that will develop confidence and enjoyment of the water.
1. Get your child to place his face in the water and blow bubbles. Show him how by doing it yourself. Make sure that you emerge with a smile on your face and show you enjoy it. Tell him he is talking to the fish and you can get him to put his ear in the water to listen for their reply.
2. Pretend you are catching fish. Sit on the edge of the pool with your child standing on the step. The water should be about chest height. Have him reach high in the air then plunge his arm into the water, fingers together to "catch" the fish. After he has caught some he can toss them back in with a loud splash and start again. This will prepare him for a basic swim stroke.
3. While holding your child under the arms facing you, walk backward fast enough for the water to pull him into a horizontal position. Spin slowly and pick up a little speed. Saying ‘Step on the Gas’, encourage him to kick in the water.
4. While holding him under the arms and walking backward, get him to kick to the commands "Red Light, Green Light". Once he can do this, you can progress to a flutter board.
5. Encourage your child to jump into the pool from the side while holding your hand. Slowly get him to jump further into the pool and make his way back to the side. This will develop confidence going into the pool.
These simple games are great ways to prepare your child for their first swimming lesson at Stone Sports Las Vegas.